Dear USD 353 and Wellington Community,
I would like to take this opportunity to give you all the latest updates regarding the reopening of our schools.
USD 353 will begin the school year on September 8th in phase yellow. As a reminder, the yellow phase is when all school buildings will operate at 50% capacity based on safety considerations, the layout of the school, and class and classroom size. Students will be on an AM/PM hybrid schedule and attending school half days on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Students will complete their standard schedule in reduced class sizes on their assigned days. On the other half of the day, students will learn from home. Students will be learning remotely on Wednesdays. However, if there is a short week, due to a holiday, inservice, etc. students may be attending school on Wednesdays. STUDENTS WILL BE ATTENDING SCHOOL ON WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 9th BECAUSE IT IS A FOUR DAY WEEK.
As I have mentioned before, we will be working with the Sumner County Health Department to receive guidance on what phase our schools will be operating in this year: Red, Yellow or Green. We will be pivoting between these phases based on COVID-19 cases in our county (See the Reopening Summary on the USD 353 website for details on phases). I will be meeting with the Sumner County Health Department every Wednesday and will give an update each week regarding the phase our schools will be operating in for the following week. The next update will be Wednesday, September 9th.
Below is important information. Please read carefully:
- Students Hybrid Schedules:
–Elementary Students hybrid schedules were sent in the mail today (Monday, August 24th). If you have not received your letter by the end of the week, please call your student(s) school for your schedule.
-Middle School Students will be able to login to infinite campus to find their hybrid schedule. More information will be shared regarding middle school students in the coming days.
-High School Students will be able to login to infinite campus to find their hybrid schedule. Parents will be receiving an email this week from Dr. Hood with more information and direction for High School students. If your student has any issues finding their hybrid schedule, please call the high school office.
- Health Guidelines: Included in the Elementary mailings was a letter from our school nurses with some helpful health and safety guideline information. We will post this information on the USD 353 website as well this week. All of our safety protocols are outlined in our reopening plan. A couple things to note:
- Masks will be required for all students, teachers, staff and visitors to the buildings
- Temperature checks will be done each morning before students are allowed in the buildings
- Athletics: At tonight’s BOE meeting, health and safety guidelines were approved for sporting events and activities. We will be following recommendations from the AVCTL and the Sumner County Health Department with our protocols. Our athletic director, Luke Smith, will be releasing a statement soon with details. The guidelines will also be posted online.
As always, I want to thank you for your support, cooperation and flexibility. Please continue to check the USD 353 website as a lot of information will be updated in the coming days.
Superintendent, USD 353